- Kylian Mbappe says Liverpool FC is a winning “machine,” and that its form his season is “amazing.”
- Jurgen Klopp’s side has won 21 of its 22 Premier League games this season, drawing the other to remain unbeaten, putting it 16 points clear at the top of the table.
- “What Liverpool do in this moment is amazing,” PSG’s Mbappe, 21, told BBC Sport. “They’re like a machine.”
- The Frenchman also called Klopp a “very good manager.”
- Mbappe has enjoyed a fine season of his own, having scored 21 times for PSG already, helping it to the top of Ligue 1 midway through the campaign.
- Read more of our soccer stories here.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Kylian Mbappe grew up a Chelsea FC fan.
But that doesn’t stop him from admiring the exploits of its rival, Liverpool FC, this season, who he describes as a winning “machine.”
Jurgen Klopp’s side has taken the English Premier League by storm this term, winning 21 of its 22 games whilst drawing the other to remain unbeaten.
Its most recent victory, a 2-0 win over Manchester United, extended its lead at the top of the table to 16 points over second-placed Manchester City, and with a game in hand, the Merseyside club now looks certain to win its first ever Premier League title.
“What Liverpool do in this moment is amazing,” the Paris Saint Germain striker, 21, told BBC Sport. “They’re like a machine, they’ve found a rhythm and are like ‘we play again, we play again.’
“They’ve lost zero games. When you watch you think everything’s easy but that’s not easy. The guys are focused, they play games every three days and they win, they win, they win.”
Liverpool has been in a similar position before in the 2013/14 season under Brendan Rodgers, where it led the Premier League throughout most of the year, only to throw the title away by winning only one of its final three games.
Its lead is much more substantial this time around, however, and while Mbappe believes the pressure will mount as the season goes on, the league leader is more than equipped to handle it.
“Now the problem is that everybody watches Liverpool, and everybody watches what we can do against them,” he said. “So now they have to show they are strong again, but it’s a very good team with a very good manager.”
—Liverpool FC (@LFC)
PSG is also enjoying a fine season of its own in France, in no short part thanks to Mbappe.
The Frenchman has scored 21 times in all competitions for the Parisians this term already, 13 of which have come in Ligue 1, helping his side into an eight point lead at the top of the table half way through the campaign.
And while he remains very much focused on life at Le Parc des Princes at the moment, Mbappe admits he does not know where he might end up come the end of the season.
“Now I’m with PSG and I’m 100% with the club. I want to help the club grow this season, to win a lot of titles, so for me it’s not good to talk about [my future],” he added.
“I think about the club because the club helped me. I came here at 18. I was a talent but I was not a superstar. Now I’m a superstar, thanks to PSG and the French national team.
“I have to stay calm and stay focused on PSG. After that, at the end of the season, we will see. But now I’m focused on my game.”
PSG next takes on Stade de Reims in the Coupe de la Ligue semi-final on Wednesday.